Saturday, November 10, 2007

Living is as sleep is.

As a doctor quoted in the Sunday Times, "an average Singaporean 80 years of age spends 27 years of his life sleeping." What? That means essentially, he lives his life awake 53 years only. So why do we sleep? How do we spend our time meaningfully when we sleep? Aren't we wasting our time? I don't understand why God made us this way. On one hand, he wants us to keep watch 'coz he will come when you least expect him while on the other hand, we have to take good care of ourselves, healthwise - simply, sleep! Is a sleep-wake cycle a purposeless routine? Why aren't we allowed to either stay awake all the time or sleep all the time? Sighz.....dilemma, dilemma, dilemma.

Do I live to eat or eat to live? Making sense of this is so difficult. If I live to eat, then I am some kind of a glut enjoying life. But if I eat to live, then living is meant to be purposeful but the joy of living...erm....I can't see that because that means simply working hard, am I not right?

No comments: